Wednesday 4 May 2016

FMP update

I presented my FMP idea to my peers in order that I could get some feedback.  I went through my Powerpoint showing my ideas, and the reasons why I was considering each option.  I referred to different photographers, artists, and painters. 

My first idea was a portrait of someone dressed as something they aspire to be, similar to Soela Zani, but not like the images produced by Stefan Bremer.  The images would empower the person to show what their dreams, and hopes for the future are.

The second idea was to do a portrait with me editing the final image either in Photoshop or by physically cutting the image.  I was quite fascinated by the idea of pixelating the image, which could be done in Photoshop, using dispersion, or cutting the image and offsetting.  The idea is that you would have to stand back from the image to get a better view of the image, or to get the’whole’ picture.

My final idea was to use instant cameras to take photos of small parts of a person’s portrait to make one final image.  It would be similar to David Hockney, abstract like Picasso, and inspired by Andy Warhol.  Again the idea is that you would stand back from the image to get a better sense of the person behind the portrait.

In all truthfullness, I am very inspired by all three ideas (possibly using them in the future in other projects), 

After considering all the feedback, and speaking with my tutor I have decided that I want proceed with my third idea, to use instant cameras. 

I already have a Polaroid camera, and several boxes of Impossible film in both black & white, and colour.  I also have an Instant Lab by Impossible which produces Polaroid films from images on your Smartphone.  The use of these two different types of cameras could produce quite an interesting project, mixing the modern with the traditional.   It would also be interesting to possibly approach the project by using the Emulsion Lift technique.  I have a kit which I can utilise.  This could possibly give another dimension to my FMP.  I have researched whether it is possible to produce Emulsion Lifts with Instax Film but from my research it appears that you cannot do this as the liquids that are held in the film will dissipate in water if the film is cut, and the emulsion comes out clear.

As well as my Polaroid camera I also have 3 Fuji Instax cameras.  I have a Instax Mini 70, an Instax Mini 90, and an Instax Wide 210.  The Instax minis use a credit card size film, whereas the Instax wide uses, as the name suggests, a wide film.  Where the mini is the size of a credit card, the wide is double the size of the mini film.   Instax film only comes in colour at the present time whereas Polaroid comes in colour, different strengths of black and white, as well as different tones of colour.  There are also different colour borders as well as shape of border. 

Instax film develops much faster than the Polaroid Impossible film, and the Polaroid film can be quite temperamental giving varying results. 

I have purchased the 3 Fuji Instax cameras, these have varying prices, depending on the seller.  At present Amazon is quite a good site to purchase both the cameras and the film from.  I have looked at the lomography sites, and Impossible Project site, and they tend to charge top prices. 

Out of all of my ideas for my FMP I feel that this project will be the most costly due to the price of the film used.  Both Polaroid and Instax films are quite expensive, and a box only usually contains 10 films.  You have to be more thoughtful and think through when and where you take your image (similar to how you work with a 35mm camera).  There are no do-overs with instant film once you have pressed that shutter button unlike digital.

The Instax Mini 90 is quite an interesting camera in that it has two added modes to the standard Instax Mini camera.  This camera has a double exposure option, which I think will produce some interesting images, together with bulb mode.  I am hoping to try and incorporate these into my project somehow.

 I can start my project by photographing my son who has a learning disability. 

Regarding legislation and ethics – I feel that there is no current legislation that I need to consider when looking at my FMP idea, but I do feel that there are ethics to be considered.   You have to show the person that you are photographing respect, they are human beings, with the same rights as everyone else, and they do not deserve to be exploited. 

I do not think that my FMP would work with just one image, and therefore I feel that I would have to produce 2, 3 and possibly a 4th image.

When displaying my images I want them to have a more sculptural feel.  I would want to place the final images onto foam board.  I am not sure whether this should be a portrait style or whether the foam board should be cut around the actual Polaroid/Instax images.  I feel the latter would aesthetically be more pleasing rather than a bog-standard portrait shape.  The final images would in effect make up a large jigsaw, with some overlapping in certain areas, and some parts and features enlarged.  (Similar to a Picasso painting – abstract.)  With this in mind before actually gluing the films in place I would have to make sure that the images were representative of the person I have photographed, and not a mockery. 

My FMP I feel is all about how we perceive people, and I want to look at how we look at people with disabilities, and how they are perceived by the images we produce. 

For the past 12 months I have been undertaking projects where I work with people who have disabilities, and I have taken photographs with them in different situations.  I hope that I can continue to do this work and work with organisations that promote self-esteem, positive attitudes and the like for people with disabilities.  I have through my work with Fox Hollies Special School made many contacts, and feel that I can continue to make links in the community because of this. 

I do not intend to only photograph people with disabilities but I feel that I have an empathy with them; an understanding, and I feel that I can communicate with them quite well.  I hope to continue to do this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment